It's a whole new world

Thoughts in motion for Media Studies & H.O.C

La jetée: more than just a black and white clip.

Filed under: Class blog posts — Natalie Bernabe at 8:42 am on Friday, November 25, 2011

OKAY ALL NIGHTER. REALLLLY pissed off by the fact that I just wrote AN COMPLETED POST and it deleted the draft -__________________- THANK YOU INTERNET. Moving on, Happy late Thanksgiving, hope you enjoyed your turkey! Gotta get this done and pack for Pennsylvania! Now then the movie, whose title means ‘The Pier’ or something. Really surprised by the composition of this 28 minute short film. The usage of photo-montage was well incorporated into this and didn’t make the scif-fi time travel theme seem cliche or tripe. The story consisted of a man in a aftermath of WW3, in the ruins of Paris, where he is the experimental subject of a time travel trial. The present needs the help of any past/present technology or people to save them, the main character is the only successful experiment, as he is haunted by an image of a woman he does not know, and the witnessing of a man’s death at an airport station.

The usage of images instead of traditional movie reel was really unique because it let one know that it wasn’t real, and yet was strangely realistic. It didn’t have the images aligned in perfect order, but instead chose shots that one could see the stark contrast of light to dark and  that no two images used the exact lighting, as well as the noir themes. It was a dark and a bit suspenseful; there’s this one scene when he is taking the injection and all you hear is a heartbeat going faster and faster and faster, and the images of his pained expression, although his eyes are covered. Then it abruptly stops. It definitely creeped me out!

This film definitely influenced future movies (haha time theme!) such as The Time Traveler’s Wife and Source Code ( I used the book cover for TTW since I HATED the movie). All had time-travel in them, a female lead that played a vital role in the storyline, and all the time travelers where men who loved the female lead. yes, a bit cliche, but the use of a narrative, images that flowed into a story, and dark noir themes were not. The noir themes were the harsh reality of the aftermath of the war, the experiment to be done undergrone, and the serious tone the movie was under, unless he was with the girl.

The girl appeared to him when he traveled back in time, and the only time we see a actual moving image is when she wakes up in a bed to see him and she smiles at him. It is set in much lighter tones and the imaging flows more like movement; one after another instead of stills shot in different frames of time. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In both The Time Traveler’s Wife and La Jetée,  both main characters die in the eyes of their loved one. It has that raw realism and tragedy that is better unfolded in the imagery of La Jetée than that of The Time Traveler’s Wife.

17

Denisha Bayley

December 16, 2011 @ 5:13 am

Wow that sucks, that sort of thing happened to me, it said publishing…and it never did. Now for your thoughts on the movie, I like the way you referenced The Source Code and Time Travelers wife. I completely forgot about those films but I can definitely see how you can relate them to La Jetee. I don’t know why but when I watched La Jetee I didn’t take the narrative for its face value (i.e the time traveling). I just thought the drugs the scientists were giving the man were causing him to have lucid dreams and the time travel was a factor of that. Maybe I should watch it again, now that I’ve read your perspective.

hipermetrop lazer Tedavisi

June 6, 2016 @ 7:12 pm

hipermetrop lazer Tedavisi

It's a whole new world » La jetée: more than just a black and white clip.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.