It's a whole new world

Thoughts in motion for Media Studies & H.O.C

Bonnie & Clyde: flaunt that pistol

Filed under: Class blog posts — Natalie Bernabe at 4:56 am on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Definitely a superb choice of film to end the term: with a bang! Too bad this short run has met its end. I now find myself analyzing film I would have just mindlessly watched over and over again! This class has taught me to open my eyes and really appreciate films as an art form and not just a entertainment pastime.  The imagery, camera effects, and symbolism within every film are now gravitating toward my eye and capture my attention. Especially within the film Bonnie & Clyde, a film in which every camera shot is important and there is symbolism around every corner.

One thing I kept noticing throughout the entire film was the positioning of the pistol. Yes I know it was a robber/gang movie, but it wasn’t merely the pistol, but what it portrayed. For Clyde and the other men, it was an extension of their masculinity. The pistol represented domination, power and control, for it’s a bit hard to control and aim a pistol, like Bonnie tried when she first shot a gun and felt its recoil. When Clyde first showed Bonnie his gun, he held it near his pelvis, it was a very suggestive positioning.  Maybe it was just to hide it from wandering eyes, but I’m pretty sure it was letting bonnie know what else was there * cough cough*. Or, it was used as it probably should have been; as a weapon.

I was more interested in what Bonnie used it for. We first see her with it as an rookie when she first shoots it. however, throughout the movie we see her flaunt that pistol again and again. For one, we see her use it as a way to expose her femininity, while also portraying a dominate sex symbol. Personally, Clyde would have been just a small town gangster without Bonnie. The photo were she poses with the cigar and pistol on her hip, even though she dislikes cigars, it is seem as very manly and one of authority. the gun on her help accentuates her curves, making it obvious that she is a woman. There is the scene with the sheriff where Bonnie flaunts the pistol to the sheriff’s face in a provocative way, almost caressing it. Although I do not know anything less appealing to be caressed with.  Then there is the female vs. male use of the pistol, one where Bonnie is holding the gun at her hips, feminine, and where Clyde is holding it between his legs, masculine. It really was awesome to see a pistol portrayed in a new light.

18

Jeen Kim

December 16, 2011 @ 7:37 am

Good point in your first paragraph, we have to “learn” how to watch movies and this class definitely taught us how. Also I never noticed the placement of the pistols, this is a really detailed observation

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.